Skip to Content

Dish liquid health care

Is Dish Liquid Harmful if Swallowed?

If you accidentally swallow dish liquid, it can lead to irritation. The best option is to drink a glass of water straight after to dilute the liquid. Don’t induce vomiting.

You may experience symptoms like an upset stomach, diarrhea and vomiting. If symptoms persist, however, or they become worse, call your GP, the Poison Control Center or visit the emergency room immediately for help.

What to do if you get Washing up Liquid in Your Eyes

Dish liquid in the eyes should be immediately rinsed out with plenty of water. In case you are wearing contact lenses make sure to remove these immediately. The liquid can cause irritation and a burning feeling when left in contact with the eye, and may even result in blurry vision or difficulty focusing if it is not rinsed out. If symptoms persist, change or become worse, call for medical assistance.

Is Dish Liquid Poisonous if you Don’t Rinse?

If you wash your dishes without rinsing them properly afterwards you may find dried dish liquid left on plates, cups, utensils and more.

In most cases, washing up liquid should not be poisonous in small amounts. So, if you dry your dishes without rinsing them properly, you can reduce symptoms by following the ingestion with a glass of water to dilute the liquid further. However, any amount of dish washing liquid in your body can result in irritation, vomiting, diarrhea and upset stomach. If these symptoms are persistent or become worse, you should always seek medical attention.

Dish Liquid Safety Tips

Here are some helpful safety tips to reduce the likelihood of the dishwashing liquid being swallowed or coming into contact with your eyes.

  • Always keep the dishwashing liquid away from small children and pets. Place it out of their reach to prevent accidental ingestion. 
  • Rinse thoroughly after washing the dishes. This reduces the risk of irritation. In addition, your food and drinks will not taste like washing up liquid.
  • When scrubbing the dishes, move the sponge in the opposite direction to your body, just like using a knife to prevent your eyes from being accidentally splashed.

Related Articles

  • Clean your kitchen with dish liquid

  • What to do against bacteria and germs in the kitchen

  • Is our dish liquid suitable for sensitive skin?